Over the years many parents have asked me what is the key to my child being succeesful in school. I have given a variety of answers, however new research has changed my thoughts on this topic. The new research says:
- Children need to hear 3 million words before they enter Kindergarden in order to be ready to read. (The words during screentime do not count, it is in person to person communication.)
- Children need healthy social/emotional development to be able to properly engage in the classroom.
- Children who can recognize and write thier name before they go to Kindergarten are ready to read.
- Children need to read 8 million words from First Gradethrogh eighth grade inorder to do well and be ready to engage in the high school classroom.
- Children need to engage in activities where they use math and math conacepts on a regular basis. The easiest ones at home is cooking, woodworking, and games like sudko.
- Playing games like Junior srabble, Scrabble, Upwords, and crossword/word search .
- The more children have discussions with others the better their ability to engage with language in real time conversations at school.
- Spending time as a family engaging in games, activities, and using teachable moment regarding lanugage and math, gets kids to practice almost without thinking about school. It gives them a better undersatanding of how school is really preparing them to live in the world.
- Current Events
- Family Fun time or Issues
- What you and they dream of having in your lives.
Believe in Parenting