Creating a Parent Engagement Plan for Teachers
One thing I think teachers can do is to encourage family support for education at home. Here are some suggestions.
- Choose 2 books a month which support what you are teaching and encourage parents and children to read them and discuss them at home. Allow children extra credit for reporting family impressions in class.
- Create take home boxes of family projects which can be taken home and done.
- Create homework projects where children need parental support to complete. Include detailed instructions for parents.
- Invite parents into your classroom. Make suggestions for how they can help. Send home family activity pages which support class learning.
- Make several suggestions of family outings where children can see and engage in enriching activities.