Friday, March 10, 2017

Week Nine Leaving: A Legacy of Authenticity

Welcome to Week Nine



What is a legacy? A legacy is more than the things you leave behind in a physical or monetary sense it ia also the kind of life you leave behind for others to follow. I have lost both of my parents. I often tell myself I am John and Augusta's daughter. This means to me that I am a very capapble person who can do anything I set my mind to.

My Dad John Webster Harvey served 30 years in working for the government. 20 years in the Army and 10 years in the Postal Service. He earned a double degree in Electronics and business. He was a great Bible teacher and taught me to love the Lord and the Jewish people.

My mother Augusta Thompson Harvey worked in the Air Force programming computers in the 1950's, the computer was across the street in a five story building. She left the Air Force to marry my Dad she was and Army wife for 14 years before she earned her degree in Library Science, she then became a Medical Librarian in a public hospital until she retired. She loved the Lord and often counseled young women who needed mothering.

My parents did leave some things which I greatly cherish. My Dad's marble chess set, and my Mom's drum tables purchased in Japan the year I was born. But, more than things they left me a legacy of serving people, being hospitable and loving God. They were both more than satisfied with who they were but never settled and pushed toward being better people all the time. I owe my desire to being more authentic to them in many ways.

In essence this series of blogs is my way of sharing their legacy to me with you. What kind of legacy do you want to leave your children. How will having been their parents leave them with a fuller richer life?

Here are you questions for this week:

  1. What is living a spiritual life to you?
  2. In three sentences write your own eulogy. What would you like people to say about you after you are gone?
Journal Assignment

During this next week think about you life and what things you would like your children to learn from watching you in your life. Remember children get 85% of what they learn through observation. Look at these two questions and see if you children will get the legacy of a better life from watching you.

Believe in Parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment