Thursday, March 26, 2015

Parents, School Control, and the State

Here in Georgia our Governor is seeking to take over several failing public schools and turn them over to a charter school company. While I am a strong supporter of school choice I am wary of our public schools becoming privatized and a major business rather than a true place for education. This brings up a true conundrum for me. One I know for a fact having been in education for years the unions are often more trouble than they are worth. They play both sides of the fence. First, they want to protect jobs over protecting our children. Secondly, they are often more concerned about keeping the status quo versus accepting change.

I believe in free public education. However, our system here in the United States is broken. While the richer counties have great schools with plenty of resources. Schools in poorer counties have less to work with. The disparity even within the city of Atlanta is stark and disturbing. The question is, is  taking control away from panrents and the local community the answer? I do not believe so. I wrote Govenor Deal an email about the importance of parent and community involvement. I asked him should this law pass, he put a  struck and unbreakable clause into any contract requiring the company not only listen to parents but, find ways to implement  changes, or forfeit there contract. In, addition, I gave him a suggestion on how to move forwards should the law fail.

I encourage you to get involved and take action. Schools belong to children, parents, and the community to where it stands. What can you do? Contact your Georgia State Representative or Senator. Attend the protest on Monday. See this blog for more information. Write a letter to the editor of the AJC. Write Governor Deal. Organize local parents to write letters. There is a better way to get these failing schools improved, government takeover iin my opinion is not one of them. I believe it will put too much distance between schools, parents and the community.



No comments:

Post a Comment